You are here
Volunteer and Auxiliary Resources
The team of volunteers at Mountain States Health Alliance is dedicated to high-quality patient-centered care. Volunteers perform a variety of duties and play a cruicial role in helping Mountain States meet the needs of our patients and their families in an environment of care, understanding and compassion.
There are many reasons to offer your time and talents as a volunteer. Volunteering helps you demonstrate concern for others; provide comfort to patients, their family members and hospital staff; and make new friends among the patients, families, staff and other volunteers. Our volunteers often say that it also helps them develop a greater sense of purpose and appreciation in their own lives.
What type of people volunteer?
Our volunteer family members span a large cross-section of people from different backgrounds and ages. They include students; senior citizens; retirees; church, civic and business groups; and people who work in other fields but have a commitment to their community and wish to help.
Apply by clicking the links below
Specific opportunities are available for:
- College students
- Juniors (high school students)
- Hospital arts program
- Volunteer chaplain associates
When are volunteers needed?
Volunteers are needed seven days a week - morning, afternoon and evening.
How much time do volunteers donate?
Most current adult volunteers give between 4 and 12 hours per week. We ask for a commitment of at least 4 hours per week, if possible.
What types of volunteer positions are available?
A wide variety of volunteer opportunities are available throughout Mountain States Health facilities, although the same positions are not necessarily available at all facilities. Positions include navigator, gift shop volunteer, courtesy shuttle driver, information desk host, patient ambassador, waiting area assistant, cookie baker and many others. To find out about open volunteer positions throughout Mountain States, go to Volunteers Needed Here. After your application has been accepted, a coordinator at the facility where you wish to volunteer can tell you about specific needs and help you make the best job match.
Where can I volunteer?
- Franklin Woods Community Hospital
- Indian Path Medical Center
- Johnson City Medical Center
- Johnson County Community Hospital
- Niswonger Children's Hospital
- Sycamore Shoals Hospital
- Unicoi County Memorial Hospital
- Woodridge Hospital
- Dickenson Community Hospital
- Johnston Memorial Hospital
- Norton Community Hospital
- Russell County Medical Center
- Smyth County Community Hospital
- Hospital arts program
- Pastoral Care (volunteer chaplain associate)
How do I apply?
- Determine where you’d like to volunteer – a specific hospital or special program.
- Go to Volunteers Needed Here to find out what opportunities are available.
- Complete an online application (see the links above) and follow instructions for submitting it.
- You will receive an email with further instructions. If you do not provide an email address you will be contacted by phone within 1 to 2 weeks.
For more information about Mountain States volunteer opportunities, please contact the appropriate facility leader listed below.
Contacts for Hospitals and Special Programs
- Franklin Woods Community Hospital/Woodridge Hospital: Whitney Larkin, (423) 431-4776; email@example.com
- Indian Path Medical Center: Lucy Phillips, (423) 857-7570; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johnson City Medical Center/Niswonger Children’s Hospital: Jackie O’Sullivan, (423) 431-3543; email@example.com
- Johnson County Community Hospital: Sharon Sheppard, (423) 542-1338; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sycamore Shoals Hospital: Sherry Toney, (423) 542-1281; email@example.com
- Unicoi County Memorial Hospital/Unicoi County Nursing Home: Kellee Blevins, 423-743-1260; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dickenson Community Hospital: Misty Myers, (276) 439-1017; email@example.com
- Johnston Memorial Hospital: Sheila Boyd, (276) 258-1021; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Norton Community Hospital: Misty Myers, (276) 439-1017; email@example.com
- Russell County Medical Center: Susan Hilton (276) 883-8190; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Smyth County Community Hospital: Lyndsey Hayden (276) 378-1206; email@example.com