You are here
JMH Family Medicine and Internal Medicine Residencies
The Johnston Memorial Family Medicine Residency Program and the Internal Medicine Program are committed to providing advanced, innovative, and specialized training in Osteopathic Family Medicine and Internal Medicine. Training in Manipulative Treatment is also provided as part of both residency programs.
Our residency programs feature a longitudinal training experience where participants learn the skills required to provide all-inclusive care to patients of all ages.
Upon completion of residency training, the osteopathic physician will be well prepared to serve the community by practicing comprehensive osteopathic family medicine or internal medicine and caring for diverse populations.
- Family Medicine Residency Curriculum
OGME-1 4 wks Orientation Workshops/Procedures 4 wks Emergency Med (adult) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Women's Health OB/GYN (inpatient & outpatient, including L&D) 4 wks Women's Health OB/GYN (inpatient & outpatient including L&D) 4 wks Pediatric emergency Med 4 wks Pediatrics (inpatient & outpatient newborn care) 4 wks General Surgery 4 wks General Surgery 2 wks Cardiology
2 wks Pulmonology
OGME-2 4 wks Practice Management & Research 4 wks Emergency Med 4 wks Critical Care (IM requirement) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Women's Health OB/GYN 4 wks Pediatrics (inpatient & outpatient) 4 wks Orthopedics (surgery requirement) 4 wks Elective 2 wks Psychiatry/Behavioral Medicine
2 wks Neurology
4 wks Elective 2 wks Endocrinology
2 wks Nephrology
OGME-3 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Internal Med (inpatient) 4 wks Pediatrics (outpatient) 2 wks Urology (surgery req)
2 wks Opthalmology (surgery requirement)
4 wks Elective 4 wks Elective 4 wks Elective 2 wks Allergy/Immunology
2 wks Dermatology
2 wks Rheumatology
2 wks Gastroenterology
2 wks Hematology/Oncology
2 wks Infectious Disease
2 wks Sports Medicine
2 wks Community Medicine
4 wks ENT (surgery requirement)
JMH Osteopathic Family Medicine & Manipulative Treatment Residency Curriculum
- Continuity of Care Experience will be longitudinal at the Continuity of Care Site over the three years of training.
- Geriatric Medicine Experience will be in OGME-2 and OGME-3 and will include at least monthly experiences in geriatric care setting that will fulfill the geriatrics requirement of at least 100 hours or 1 month of training.
- Didactics will be held weekly and will include four hours of Core Conference lectures and a one hour Grand Rounds lecture each week. Didactic lectures will include content from all specialties/components of the curriculum.
- Internal Medicine Residency Curriculum
OGME-1 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Critical Care/ICU 4 wks Gynecology/Women's Health 4 wks Emergency Medicine 4 wks General Surgery 4 wks Cardiology 4 wks Medicine Selective (chosen by Program Director) 4 wks Medicine Selective (chosen by Program Director) 4 wks Medicine Selective (chosen by Program Director) OGME-2 4 wks Night Float 4 wks Night Float 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Nephrology 4 wks Pulmonology 4 wks Endocrinology 4 wks Neurology 4 wks Elective 4 wks Elective OGME-3 4 wks Night Float 4 wks Night Float 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Inpatient IM 4 wks Rheumatology 4 wks Gastroenterology 4 wks Hematology/Oncology 4 wks Infectious Disease 4 wks Elective 4 wks Elective
- Continuity Clinic/Ambulatory Training experience will be longitudinal at the Continuity of Care Site over the 36 weeks of training.
- Didactics will be held weekly and will include four hours of Core Conference lectures and a one hour Grand Rounds lecture each week.
- Current Family Medicine Residents
Dr. Alexandra Marrs Bowling
Dr. Kimberly Edwards
Dr. Mylanie Facelo
Dr. Lauren McGee
Dr. Troy Reece
Dr. Susan Samudre
Dr. Troy Beavers
Dr. Elizabeth Dockery
Dr. Tyler Kirk
Dr. Marianna Smith
Dr. Leisa Walker
Dr. Nicole Zeky
- Current Family Medicine Faculty
Core Faculty Members
Dr. Ronna New
Dr. James Gardner
Dr. Shyam Odeti
Dr. Srikanth Gaddam
Dr. Mary Dawson
- Current Internal Medicine Residents
Dr. Trenton Keel
Dr. Ayan Novruzov
Dr. Ram Kommaraju
Dr. Adam Varbanoff
Dr. Margaret Tajak
- Current Internal Medicine Faculty
Dr. Camelia Chirculescu
Dr. John Patterson
Dr. Joseph Brown
Dr. Damien Sooklal
Dr. Karen Elmore
- Salary and Benefits
Year Base Rate
OGME-1 $ 46,279
OGME-2 $ 47,678
OGME-3 $ 49,230
OGME-4 $ 49,230
Paid Days Off
- Residents are allotted twenty (20) total leave days, which includes 15 vacation days, 3 CME days and 2 sick days.
- OGME3 Educational leave must be used for an AOA approved educational program and requires written approval of the DME. Documentation of daily attendance is required.
- No more than five (5) paid days off may be taken per rotation, except in emergency situations.
- Vacation requests are not allowed for the month of July.
OGME - 1: $500
OGME - 2: $1,000
OGME - 3: $1,500*
OGME - 4: $1,500*
*OGME 3 CME funds are reserved for meeting the AOA Basic Standards for Residency Training in Osteopathic Family Medicine and Manipulative Treatment VII B 7.1 and the AOA basic standards for residency training in Internal Medicine VII 7.7. Internal Medicine Residents must attend one ACOI convention and Scientific Session during the training program. Family Medicine residents must attend one ACOFP convention and Scientific Smeinars during the training program. Conference attendance will be determined by the Graduate Medical Education Committee.
- Life insurance
- Comprehensive health insurance plan, including prescription card
- Dental insurance
- Retirement Plans
- Professional Residency Program liability insurance, with tail coverage as needed
- Fit for Life Wellness Program
- Fitness Centers
- Credit Union
- Complimentary meal plan
- Three complimentary lab coats (OGME-1); one lab coat (OGME-2-4), including dry cleaning
- Medical Library Privileges
- Residency Training License Fees
- Board Exam Fees (COMLEX III must be taken while under current contract-one attempt)
- AOBIM Registration Fee is reimbursed (for OGME 3-4; reimbursed once by the program)
- ACOFP membership dues for Family Medicine residents - paid by the program
- AOA membership dues
- Board Review
- Free Employee Parking
- Counseling, medical, and psychological support services
Residents are employees of Johnston Memorial Hospital and are provided with Mountain States Health Alliance employee benefits in addition to these residency program benefits listed. Please refer to the current JMH MSHA benefit guide available on the MSHA intranet.
Family Medicine Residency Program: 6 positions per year
Internal Medicine Residency Program: 4 positions per year
Applicants for the Family Medicine Residency Program and the Internal Medicine Residency Program must utilize ERAS to apply: https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/
If you have any questions, please contact the JMH Graduate Medical Education Office at 276-258-4438 or email ElliottL@msha.com
- For Medical Students
Johnston Memorial Hospital is affiliated with the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blacksburg by providing VCOM medical students clinical clerkships to complete their medical education. Other students who are interested in training at JMH in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine are invited to apply for an audition rotation by completing the application.
- Contact Information
Family Medicine Residency Program
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Ronna D. New, DO, FACOFP
Director of Medical Education, Northeast Region
Program Director, Family Medicine Residency Program
Camelia Chirculescu, MD
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Graduate Medical Education
Mailing Address for all Graduate Medical Education at JMH
Attn: Graduate Medical Education, 4th Floor
Johnston Memorial Hospital
16000 Johnston Memorial Drive
Abingdon, VA 24211